Whether you’re a dog lover, a crazy cat person, a reptile enthusiast or even all of the above, you can’t deny that coming home to your pet at the end of a long day is one of the best feelings in the world.
We recently came across this heartfelt article from earlier this year which made us feel super warm and fuzzy inside. The Humane Society of Missouri has a program where children can read to shelter dogs in order to provide companionship for them before they are adopted. The shelter says,
“The idea is simple: train kids to read to dogs as a way of readying them for forever homes, all while instilling a greater sense of empathy in the youngsters, too.”
And on top of that, the children are working on their literacy skills so it is obviously a win, win situation. Click here to read more. (Photo Credit: The Humane Society of Missouri)
This got us thinking…the shelter dogs are in need of love and affection and they are definitely benefiting from this program. So why can’t our furry friends at home benefit too, right?! We have put together a list of the top 5 books on our website that we think any shelter animal awaiting adoption or or any pet with a current home would enjoy. Take a quick look and see which book you think your fur-baby would like!
1) 97 Ways to Make a Cat Like You, Carol Kaufmann – a must read because we all know that felines sometimes have quite strong personalities!
2) 97 Ways to Make a Dog Smile, Jenny Lengbehn – making a dog smile sounds like a perfect Saturday night to me!
3) The Bedtime Book for Dogs, Bruce Littlefield – reading this to our rambunctious furry friends should make getting them ready for bed a breeze at the end of a long day.
4) Three Stories You Can Read to Your Dog, Sara Swan – this title says it all – the pups will love it!
5) Watership Down, Richard Adams – this heartfelt read for any pet, about a rabbit’s journey to find a new home, touches on how human actions can affect the complex ecosystems around us.
We hope you, your family & your furry friends will enjoy these! Feel free to check out www.DiscoverBooks.com for even more titles that are sure to please your non-human BFFs!