Believe it or not, tomorrow, March 10th, is National Landline Telephone day. Yes, you heard us correctly and that is in fact A THING.
This inspired us to write this week’s blog about the top 5 “old school” things that were AWESOME in their day and that we don’t use as much anymore.
Let’s Count Them Down Starting with the March 10th Item of the Day !
5) Landline Telephones – Remember back in the day when you couldn’t call someone from just anywhere? The days when you had to actually write down, or even better, memorize phone numbers?! I can still remember the phone numbers of my best friends to this day. Landlines are a throwback to a simpler time when you would hope that your mom or dad didn’t “accidentally” pick up the phone while you were chatting with your high-school crush. RIP LANDLINES
4) Disposable Cameras – Remember the simpler times in life when you had to trust that you were taking a good photograph and didn’t get to do a “do-over” after noticing that you completely cropped one of your siblings out of the shot? Remember the excitement you felt when you picked up your prints from the store and opened that envelope to see all of the pictures that you had forgotten about taking!?! What an amazing moment that always was. Nowadays we take for granted the instant satisfaction of photographs. Give this throwback a try this weekend perhaps! Head to the store, purchase a disposable camera and put the smartphone down for a change. You might find that you take even better pictures when you can’t see them instantaneously! Who knows!!
3) Handwritten Letters – Getting a letter in the mail used to be pretty common and pretty much the only way to communicate with friends and family who you didn’t see on a regular basis. Nowadays I feel like a kid on Christmas when I get a handwritten letter in the mail. What ever happened to this ancient art and the long lost pass-time of pen pals!?! Send a letter to us at Discover Books or to a close friend this weekend and make someone’s day a little brighter. What do ya say?!
2) Using A Dictionary – Once upon a time there was no such thing as “GOOGLE” to learn how to spell a word or teach you the definition of a word you had never heard before. Remember being puzzled by a word your parents used and pulling the heavy dictionary off of the shelf to see what the definition was? Or even better, using a dictionary to look up words in class at school and handwriting definitions of new words!? We hated it back then but looking back, those were some good times. Just for fun, we challenge you to dust off your old dictionary this weekend and teach yourself a few words that you didn’t know. Ready, GO!
1) Movies at Blockbuster- Believe it or not, On-Demand movies weren’t always a thing. In fact, you actually had to get in your car, drive to the store on Saturday night and HOPE that all 10 copies of “I Know What You Did Last Summer” on VHS weren’t already rented! That’s right….the movie you wanted could have potentially been out of stock and you would have to scour the endless aisles of alphabetized movies and settle for another, less popular flick. Then you would have to pay for it, REWIND it when you were done and bring it back within three days or they charged you a ridiculous fee! Next time you rent a movie through your TV with the push of a button, remember that the struggle was real for all of us old folk who used to have to rent movies the old fashioned way!
After reminiscing on all of these , we also thought we would mention how much we are IN LOVE with the idea of getting all of our followers, partners and friends back to the old school style of reading tangible books…you know the ones with paper pages and that classic book smell? We know that some people MIGHT think it is better to read from a tablet or e-reader but we cannot imagine a world where books aren’t held, in-hand and read from cover to cover.
To kick off the weekend and get you moving in the right direction, get over to our website, www.DiscoverBooks.com, and invest in some tangible books of your very own. We even have a special discount code for you to save you some moolah!
The weather is slowly starting to get nicer so find a warm corner on your porch or in a sunny corner of your house to indulge in one of the most beloved “old school” pass-times of them all….good old fashioned READING!!!